Sunday, November 30, 2008

Mumbai......meri jaan!


I came back from my fluids lecture at 3pm. Switched on my computer. I signed in to Gmail, Amruta was online we had a casual talk. I asked her whether she saw my Diwali pics and then she says “Arrey there were a couple of blasts & firing incidents near CST,Gateway of India, Colaba, Taj, Sahara Star, BMC office. “OMG, are you guys alright, baba aley na ghari?” She tried to soothe me “Sagley barey ahet!” I opened a new window, Times of India, just a sliding BREAKING NEWS bar which had very minimal info. I went back to Gmail, there Sneha had a ibn live NEWS link on her status message. It showed me what I wanted. A live account of what was happening in my city. 

Scared people, confused people, a lot of police. Out of the blues comes a Police Toyota Qualis and starts firing at the people on a junction. What the hell was that. People ducked down, some got injured while others helped them. I was glued to the laptop for 2hrs now, and all I could see was helpless people outside & I could'nt think of the people inside the hotels. I felt helpless, helpless because I was here, when my city needed me the most. 

What could I have done you ask me? Yes surely I couldn’t have had a chance at those chickens hiding in the hotels, but I could at least help my people, donate blood, help the injured…..there were more than 100 casualties. Who do you look up to when god says it’s my time out. Help each other not the terrorists to terrorize you! But no, I was just sitting here in my cozy chair, 10k Kms away……I cried…yes I did, just could'nt control it, it’s my city, streets I used to roam around without any fear & now I watch all those roads turn from black to red, red blood of my people…MY BLOOD! Yes, my family was fine but the city is also my family. I love my city as I love my family & I want to make sure no one plays around with someone I love. 

No comments: